Sunday, July 21, 2024

The epitaph of the Black Prince, a military leader in English history who died of dysintery in the Middle Ages. It is not original, and I haven't found the source. I think it may have been updated a bit, linguistically, here. Particularly the phrase "now a poor caitiff am I" resonates with me. Caitiff is an archaic term for "captive", and I think it captures the sense a person has of imprisonment, not by an enemy, but by the disability or death of their "corps".

 

 

Who so thou be that passeth by,
Where these corps entombed lie:
Understand what I shall say
As at this time speak I may.
 
Such as thou art, some time was I,
Such as I am , such shalt thou be.
I little thought on the hour of death
So long as I enjoyed breath.
 
Great riches here I did possess
Whereof I made great nobleness.
I had gold, silver, wardrobes and
Great treasure, horses,houses, land.
 
But now a caitiff poor am I
Deep in the ground, lo here I lie
My beauty great is all quite gone,
My flesh is wasted to the bone.
 
My house is narrow now and throng,
Nothing but Truth comes from my tongue:
And if ye should see me this day
I do not think but ye would say
That I had never been a man;
So much altered now I am
 
For God’s sake pray to the heavenly King
That he my soul to heaven would bring,
All they that pray and make accord
For me until my God and Lord:
God place him in his Paradise,
Wherein no wretched caitiff lies.

No comments: