Tuesday, January 19, 2021

About Teaching and Appreciation

Thank you to the people who occasionally say thank you for the job I do, for how difficult it is and how necessary. It is nice to be appreciated.

I should like for people not to feel obligated to thank me for being a teacher. 

When the alarm goes off in the dark before the morning, I get out of bed pretty quick. I psyche for the day and what kind of day it will be. There is no snooze button.

I don't get sick, really. This may have to do with the fact that the people I talk to all day keep me up to date with all the ambient germs, but I think it has to do with the fact that I am happy with where I am.

Summer is kind of long. I make up for it by going to school anyway to get stuff done. Well, that and pick raspberries at the school garden. This helps bide the time until finally I can get to work again in mid-August.

There is a sign in my classroom that says "There's no place I'd rather be."

I am mildly pleased that they pay me rather more than what I need to buy rice, beans and a tin roof for my shack.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's not for everyone, but for me, a frontal lobotomy turned out to be a Very Good Thing.



No comments: