Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Not a Real German

A message from Claudia's former boss: 2012

(Both are Germans. The boss is working in the US. Claudia is living in the US long-term.)

"I know it is not easy for you to plan my sales trips, but when I drive from [unnamed state] to [other unnamed state], that is, over X,000 miles, and from there more than X,000 miles back to Charlotte then I would like to visit the customers we scheduled and not just X customers. X,000 miles to visit X customers. Do you know anyone who would do that? Not me.

In more than 30 years of European Cup and World Cup soccer, I have never missed a game of Germany. As I said, it was always possible to watch the games in [Asian third world countries] or wherever I traveled in the last 20 years. On ****day, I am supposed to go to [unnamed city] just as German plays in the xxxx-finals. Apparently, we can't change this appointment to ******day. So, on ******day, I am wasting my time, and on ****day, I have to drive all ****day instead of arriving ****day evening.

I don't know to what degree you [still] understand what it means to be a German. On ****day, about X million Germans will be watching that soccer game. It is not at all like that weird Superbowl in the United States, where they only cheer when they are told to. That is synthetic like so much in the USA.

I have had it with all this driving. It's not a problem to visit all these customers, but if you add soccer to the mix, it can be the straw that breaks the camel's back, not to put too fine a point on it. Please remember, it's not just about our American customers, but about us, the Germans who work here at [unnamed small company from Germany].



No comments: