Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Why is that?

I have just learned that  Georgina, a teacher whom I respect a great deal was made to retire mid-year by the strong intervention of her personal friend because she was suffering physical symptoms of stress that could seriously have damaged her health.
When I taught at the same school as Georgina, I also was suffering a great deal of stress. I was in the habit of visiting her kindergarten classroom just to drink in the vibe, as well as to pick up cues for my classroom in an entirely different grade. 
She had been teaching for more than 3 decades when she had to retire.
What exactly is happening when our school system fails to support such people to the degree that it does not allow them to accomplish their task-- their mission-- and threatens to damage them in this manner? What on earth are we thinking??

No comments: